As we recap the 2016 year at Montclair Republican Club & County Committee, we invite you to join with our minority voice in Montclair, New Jersey, USA to maintain the function of a constitutional republic and a diverse voice in town affairs. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘JOIN’ in the subject line, or click THIS LINK more information and payment options.
Our internal polling at the beginning of the year portended President-Elect Donald Trump’s strength nine months before the election. Trump came in second in that poll, only to Marco Rubio, out of a field of twenty candidates. By November 8, 2016, members of our club and community were not surprised by the results of the election.
Our events throughout the year, combined with a clear and commonsense message, strong media presence, and publicity surrounding a local conservative candidate, attracted new members and friends to each event. Our doors are always open to those who favor limited government, economic opportunity, and personal liberty/responsibility.
2016’s timeline included:
- Dr. Murray Sabrin on ‘Eliminating New Jersey’s Income Tax’
- 4th Annual ‘Football Playoff / Chili Cookoff’ Party
- The passing of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
- First from-the-bench comments from U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas
- The passing of long-time Montclair Republican Helen Nelson
- Presidential candidate Ted Cruz’ spokesperson Sue Ann Penna
- A rally for Montclair’s only 2016 Town council election challenger (3rd ward), Club member Maureen Edelson
- Montclair Republicans attend League of Women Voters of the Montclair Area debate between 3rd Ward Council candidates
- Conservative local candidate Maureen Edelson (3rd Ward) fails to win against the incumbent in Montclair’s municipal election, but outpaces Mitt Romney’s 2012 results by 30% while gaining town-wide admiration for a well-fought challenge and reasonable, non-partisan positions focused on quality of life, smaller government, lower taxes and more sound municipal decision-making.
- Montclair resident and municipal gadfly Sandy Sorkin on Township Municipal Finance
- Montclair’s former U.S. Congressional Candidate Roland Straten was elected Chairman of the town’s County Republican Committee.
- Montclair Republicans marched – and rode – in the town’s classic Independence Day
- Club members & friends joined together at Town Pub of Bloomfield to watch the first presidential debate, and hosted reporters from National Public Radio at the gathering.
- Montclair’s highest-achieving Republican, Buzz Aldrin, landed in his hometown to celebrate the naming of Buzz Aldrin Middle School.
- Nutley’s Steve Rogers visited the club to speak about national security. Learn more about Steve HERE.
- Montclair’s Republican County Committee endorsed Donald Trump and the entire Republican line for the November 8 general election.
- In preparation election day 2016, club members, friends and guests attended gatherings on the subjects of decision-making and the major party platforms.
- November 8, 2016: Republicans win the White House, the U.S. Senate, U.S. Congress, and a majority of statehouses. Our election night party was small but happy.
- Montclair Republicans mourned the loss of another bright light, Marjorie Hague.
- Businessman and author Israel Vicente joined club members and friends for a review of his recent book, ‘For the People,’ and a discussion of the Trump presidential campaign.
- A record turnout of Montclair Republicans celebrated a very good year at the Essex County Republicans Holiday party
We will begin 2017 with our 5th annual Football Playoff / Chili Cook-Off on Sunday, January 22, 3 pm at a private home in Montclair. Bring your home-made chili entry or an appetizer to share. RSVP to email@example.com with ‘FOOTBALL’ or ‘CHILI’ — or both, since limiting government doesn’t mean limiting fun — in the subject line.